Thursday, July 3, 2014

Design and Paranoia

So, I realized that there was one friend I had not made a quilt for yet.  It's a guy, and I think designing quilts for guys is hard because I feel that most quilts are inherently feminine.  I know he is a batik kind of guy, so I thought that a neutral to bring the batiks together would work, hoping that the lighter batiks wouldn't come off as girly.  I had a good collection of 6 inch batik squares, so I went with that and used the gray in the same way.  I really like how it is coming together and it is easy to piece.  The top is actually done now, so all I need to is sandwich and I can begin to quilt.

I will probably stew over quilting design for a while.  I always do.  Need to get inspired on that to get started.

In the mean time, I also realized I had not made my nieces quilts.  so I need to get busy on designing something for them!  It being July, I have enough time to do those before the holidays.

The girls share my love for the lullaby, Little Birdie in a Tree, as their mother (my sister) sang it to them as children.  In fact, they too have tattoos based on the song.  So I am going to try and design quilts with that song in mind.  They each like bold colors, which I think will add fun and excitement to the quilts.

I love designing with specific people in mind.  Trying to capture their personality in the design is a challenge I really get into.

Now, we have a new puppy in our house.  A puppy, a 12 week old puppy.  trying to accomplish things and concentrate with a puppy biting at your heels and getting into things and house training is, well, interesting.  I have to take her outside at least every 30 to 45 minutes.  I need to keep her entertained so she chews on appropriate things.  And, I need to make sure that I do not step on her accidentally.  Keeps us all on our toes! 

My sewing studio is on the second floor and Chai is one mobile puppy!  She is currently asleep on the sofa downstairs, so I need to check on her every few minutes.  A quite puppy is a very suspicious thing, let me tell you.  I have become one paranoid puppy mommy.  I need to remember to check on her and not get lost in my work too much.  Thank goodness, for now she is young enough to sleep quite a bit, as long as she also gets some exercise.

Genny, our other dog, is six years old and, frankly, a pretty lazy dog.  She has to be on her toes too and a bit paranoid herself with the puppy around.  She has been extremely patient.  Right now, she is currently doing her best imitation of an area rug on my studio floor.  A difficult hurdle when walking around when one needs to avoid an 80 pound lump.  She is just happy that a puppy is not chewing on her ears.

Well, I had better take advantage of the quite to get something accomplished!

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment